Friday, December 3, 2010

ultrasound three - unexpected

third ultrasound - This was a rough week. Jen has been very tired and fatigued. Off to work at 6:45am - home around 4:30pm, straight to the couch. PLOP!

I get her feet up on some extra pillows we have, flip on the tube, and let her surf til her hearts content.

So, yesterday, I'm sitting at work and I get a text. It says, "Having some bleeding left a message for doctor" Oh my God! Scared to death I call Jen...she explained later that she texted instead of calling because she could barely speak through the crying and knew she wouldn't have been able to tell me anything over the phone...that's my wife!

So, she says its quite a bit of blood and I decided it was no time to wait for somebody to listen to a voice mail and get back to us.

I called their emergency line and got an appt. for an US at 2pm, what     a    long     time      to     wait      until 2.

She also informs me that the message she left at the doctor is probably irrelevant anyhow considering the blubbering message, she said she'd be surprised if they any type of clue what the hell she was talking about.

We got there and in our typical fashion, because I know Jen so well, we held hands and did not speak a word as we walked toward the building, Jen cries a bit when she is upset, and she can hold it in well if you just leave her be. I decided jokes and laughing would be better than concern, then we would really see the waterworks. So, a few comments here and few comments there and I had her laughing by the time we got to the front door. Laughter is the healer of all maladies.

We got the US up and BOOM, two heart beats, looking both at normal growth for their gestational age...wow, stress is crazy, you never know how much stress you actually had until it starts to ebb.


We got some news that is scary but workable. It appears that Jen is Rh negative and that the babies are Rh positive which can cause Jen to create antibodies that want to remove the babies as invaders to the body. Now this is not definitive as it is to early to tell that type of blood distinction, but the doctors advice is to take steps now to stop the symptoms if this is the problem. This is something usually dealt with around 28 weeks, not 8. However, when you have a bleeding event it can be one of the issues causing a problem and it gets looked at early.

With that said, there is a fix, of sorts. Jen got an injection that will cause her body to stop producing the antibodies and will keep any further complications in regards to the Rh Factor from being an issue. Hopefully this is the last of this issue and we will be good to go from here on out.

The condition makes Jen a little higher risk pregnancy, but with all we have been through to get to this point, one more bump is nothing we can't handle. :-)

2 comments:

  1. A few things:
    1. I love the blog! It's awesome. And the name.... ROCKS! LOL
    2. I get giddy every time I think about TWINS!
    3. I've studied about Rh factor and it's effects in pregnancy. So glad everything is ok. My heart skipped more than just a beat reading this last post. Praying for you FOUR everyday.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Rh neg, too, but it wasn't a problem because both Matt and Ryan are also Rh neg. I'm so glad to hear that everything still looked good on the ultrasound. I read Mamoose the blog too!

    ReplyDelete